Friday, December 31, 2010

Be Your Own Pet- Get Awkward

What a breath of fresh air this was. Children...playing punk rock...and it didn't suck. It wasn't pop punk. This band knew about Blag Flag. This band had a girl singer that was more in love with Iggy than Tom Delonge. Paramore...I'm looking at you.

I knew nothing about this band. Usually I like to know everything before I even purchase something. I just kept coming across reviews that sounded intriguing. Steven McDonald (Redd Kross, White Blood Cells, Off!) producing. Thurston Moore discovered them. I was confused. I had to hear this.

Fun. Noisy. Songs about partying. Food fights. Zombies. They got the joke. Good musicians that were playing shitty rather than shitty musicians trying to play good.

They broke up apparently before I even bought the album. They weren't even successful. What the hell was wrong? Jemina Pearl (lead singer) put out an awesome solo album.

I keep trying to get people into this band. I don't want to be the only one. I play it for people and for some reason it never really clicks. Click dammit. Get it. You'll be surprised how much fun this is.

No comments:

Post a Comment