Friday, December 31, 2010

Them Crooked Vultures

First hearing about this was one of those moments where you just start laughing. Really? That Guy? Him? Why Him? Yeah he's good...but why?

I don't like Led Zeppelin. Seriously. I've always wanted their albums with just drum and bass tracks. Does that exist? Jimmy Page is okay...but I've just never been interested. Robert Plant makes me cringe. Bonham is a beast, and I think the only thing I had before this album with John Paul Jones was the orchestral stuff he did on Automatic For The People.

Honestly, I don't love this album because it's a super group. I think John Paul Jones is a stellar bass player. I love almost anything Josh Homme does. I mostly just love this because Dave Grohl is playing drums again. And BOY HOWDY does he play drums. I've always loved his drumming because he had a sense of making the drums into the hook of the song. The thing that grabs you. Probably comes from being a pop song writer and playing drums for a minimalist guitarist like Cobain.

On this album Grohl unleashes more than he ever has. He plays sloppy when he's supposed to. He plays so hard hitting that it makes all of his Nirvana work look like the kid in Hanson.

When I saw this band live on their tour I just stood there giggling. There was Dave Grohl's hair flipping around. Reminded me of the old drummer of Hole that played in Motley Crue when Tommy Lee got injured. She had a fan just to make her hair look all flippy and cute.

I just don't know what else to say. I just have a crush. Swoon

No comments:

Post a Comment